Thursday, July 30, 2015

coffee Coffee COFFEE....jelly??

There are so many things I enjoy and two of them are coffee and jelly (yay breakfast!). When I came across a recipe for coffee jelly I just had to try it!

Most of the friends I told about the jelly were "...okay..." but a few agreed to taste test.

I gave it a go. Syrup. Yuck. Went back over the recipe. Did I mention it was one of my first attempts at canning? No simple grape or apple jelly for me! I got a copy of the Ball's Blue Book of Canning and studied the instructions and their recipes. Ahh. The technique was right; the recipe wasn't.

I made a few alterations and gave it another go. Jelly!

My friends who tried it actually all liked it - husbands especially. (men...coffee...)

Here 'tis:

COFFEE JELLY

4 cups very strongly brewed coffee
    [I added grounds for about 10-12 c. but only put in water for 9 c. then let it sit on the plate for at least 4 hr.]

1/4 c. lemon juice

5 1/2 c. granulated sugar

1 box SureJell pectin

Stir coffee and lemon juice together in a 4-qt saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add pectin to mixture and return to a boil. Add sugar and whisk vigorously for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Return mixture to a full rolling boil and boil for exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Ladle into half-pint jars with 1/4" headspace, wipe rims, and screw on tops fingertight.

Water bath - process 10 minutes. Transfer to a towel and let cool overnight. After cooled, test seal. Remove rings and wipe lid and jar clean. Label.

Best used in one year.  Makes 6 half-pint jars.

---

There are a lot of sources for basic canning instructions but the Blue Book is my go to source.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment