Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ahh life with EBV! (Epstein Barr)

I was diagnosed with chronic Epstein Barr Virus a few years ago (on my 3rd bout of mono!). Luckily I have only had those three episodes of full mono (at ages 16, 26, and 48) (waiting a decade or a few between bouts isn't TOO bad!) but...

One of the things about EVB is a lowered ability to recover from viruses. I can get a bug that lasts a few days for someone else and I'm still fighting it a couple weeks later. It's, to put it mildly, a royal pain.

Most people have, according to my readings, the EBV but many never show symptoms. Those who do usually have a single bout of mono then go on with their lives. A few (lucky?) ones develop a chronic case. Fortunately, as far as I know, I'm not contagious - even in the full-blown bouts I've had.

Right now recovering from some silly bug I picked up a couple weeks ago. Stress makes it easier for me to get sick and once I'm down, pulling back up takes a while.

This is a really bad time (is there ever a good time to be sick?) for me as I'm just starting my first class with Ohio Christian University, working toward my BA in Psychology. This first course is on Jesus/the New Testament. It's an accelerated class and they only last 5 weeks. There's a lot packed into each week and I really need to be focused on what I'm doing.

But, I'm back on the comp, working away.

No comments:

Post a Comment