Wednesday, September 16, 2015

They're for the Living

Yesterday, we buried Blondie. It was a much better experience than I feared. I felt at peace, which I didn't expect. Ricky (a good friend) came over to help me. He dug a hole deep enough and then we placed Blondie's urn in it. He carefully added her last (nearly new) rawhide, her favourite toy (a rubber wheel; she toted it around but didn't chew on it) and lastly placed her collar around the urn. It was like putting it back on her. He said a few words. I said goodbye to my Blondie Girl. After I dropped a handful of dirt in, he filled the hole. There she was, resting in her favourite spot. For always.

I believe she is already in heaven. That what we did yesterday didn't add or subtract from that. It was, as I've read so many times, for me. I finished saying goodbye - though I can't imagine never thinking of her again. I suppose it's more accurate to say I said I'll see you again, in a while. I think not having that ceremony would have left a sore spot.

The funeral was for me and GOD blessed me in my friend Ricky. He knew what to say and how to help me through it. It wouldn't have been nearly as easy to deal with as it was. I can look back on it and feel comfort. No regrets, no additional pain. Just happiness that she'll always be a memory in my heart (and at my gate). You can find GOD everywhere - you just need to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment